|"Storm would never hurt us. I don't think she's the bad dog, and I don't think she'd lie, either."|
|— Sky in The Exile's Journey, page 288|
| Wild Pack|
| Species |
Sheltie-Retriever Greyhound mix
|Names|| Pup: Tiny
| Status|| Alive|
|Living||Storm of Dogs, Dead of Night, Into the Shadows, Red Moon Rising, The Exile's Journey, The Final Battle|
In the Original Series
- Sky is first seen with their siblings in Lucky's vision. Lucky is in a warm place where he feels content, when he hears a series of high-pitched yaps, and realizes that they are pups. He trots through the long grass to a circle of trees by the pond, and can see four puppies sitting on flat rocks. Two of the pups have sandy fur, one has a deeper tan coat, and one has dark brown fur. Storm approaches the pups, and the sandy, shaggy-furred pup asks what happened next, with the other pups agreeing that she should tell them more. Storm explains that the ground started shaking very hard, and dogs wondered if it was the end of the world. The dark brown pup asks if it was, but Sky, though unnamed at the time, answers that of course it wasn't, or Storm wouldn't be telling them the story. Storm answers that she almost had died, and explains that everything was terrible and went wild. The tan pup has trouble believing this, but Storm clarifies that she was there, and it happened before the Storm of Dogs. Lucky guesses that the pups have heard the term before, because they gasp and beg to hear what happened next.
- Storm goes on that the battle was terrible, and not all dogs survived. The dark brown pup asks why the dogs were fighting, and Storm replies that a dog named Blade thought that the world would end if she didn't force the battle, but she thinks that Blade just wanted a good fight. At hearing this, the pups shudder and press close together, and Storm informs them that their Mother-Dog and Father-Dog had been very brave.
- At hearing this, the pups admiringly look at Lucky, and the dark brown pup asks if he fought the mean dog. When Storm tells the pups that their Sire-Dog had an important role in the battle, the shaggy-furred pup wonders what it was, and Sky, still unnamed, asks if he killed a bad dog. Storm looks at Lucky, then tells the pups that the told their Father-Dog what to do.
- When the pups look at Lucky, he suddenly realizes that their names are Forest, Sky, River, and Earth. The short-furred sandy pup, who Lucky now knows is named Sky, bursts forward and yaps that their Father-Dog is a hero, and the other pups run after her, crowding around Lucky.
- Sky is next seen after the Storm of Dogs battle, when during the Great Howl, Lucky sees four Spirit Dogs; Sky, Forest, River, and Earth. Beside them are the four pups Lucky had dreamed of. The dark brown pup raises her head and stares right at Lucky before fading from view. Before the pack goes to sleep, Lucky wonders if he should tell Sweet that he saws a vision of their pups, and he wishes he could see them again. However, he doesn't tell her, yet is positive that the pups will arrive when Tree Flower comes.
In the Gathering Darkness Arc
- Although Sky is not yet born in A Pack Divided, she and her siblings are mentioned several times.
- When Storm comes back from a hunting patrol and sees Lucky and Sweet together, she notes that Alpha's sides are rounded with her and Lucky's pups. Lucky's gaze is a combination of love, pride, and faint anxiety, and Storm is surprised that his first pups should really be so exciting. She thinks it is right that Lucky should be focused on his mate and their soon-to-be-born pups, and she notes that he would be a wonderful Farther-Dog. Thorn and Beetle are seen wrestling in camp, and Beetle tells his litter-sister, who reports of a fox, that if a fox would come near camp, Alpha and her pups would get a new fox-hide bed. As they eat that night, Alpha takes a modestly sized rabbit, and Storm thinks that it is a good choice for a future Mother-Dog, as it is enough for her and her unborn pups, but not too much.
- Later, as Lucky and Sweet talk together, the Beta asks his mate what stories he will tell their pups. Alpha laughs that she will tell them about her Spirit Dogs and his, and that she expects that he would do the same. Alpha offers to tell her one of his Mother-Dog's stories, and Lucky accepts.
- When a loudbird flies near camp, Lucky gazes at Alpha, and Storm wonders if she can even run very fast while carrying a litter. Storm realizes that he isn't acting like an Alpha or Beta, but is only thinking of his mate and their unborn pups. After the loudbird leaves, Bella and Lucky discuss how he had been panicking, and Bella sympathizes that it is understandable, as he will be a Father-Dog and is obviously going to worry about his mate and pups. Lucky turns his head away, embarrassed, but Bella goes on that the best way to help Alpha and the pups is to do what they must do it the city.
- Right before Moon gets accused of stealing prey, Lucky offers to get Alpha some prey, but Alpha objects that she is carrying pups and not the weight of the Earth-Dog. Later that night, after Moon is punished, Alpha's head is down and her tail droops, and Storm asks her if everything is alright. The swift-dog replies that she is making sure that her legs don't get stiff, and she adds that she needs to stay strong, for both her pups and the Pack.
- When the foxes attack the camp, it is noted that Alpha is too heavy with pups to fight, and must be protected. After the foxes leave and the dead fox pup is discovered, Lucky backs protectively against Alpha as if thinking of his own vulnerable pups in her belly. Dogs within the Pack discuss about who might have killed the fox-pup, but Lucky chastises them for picking fight with one another when their Alpha is about to give birth to her first pups.
- When there is another squabble among the patrol-dogs, Alpha squirms from her den, and her belly is noted to look heavy and round, as if her flanks can hardly contain the growing pups.
- Later, when Storm goes to talk to Alpha about how Beta and Snap went to hunt the Golden Deer, Alpha's silhouette is very distended, and Storm thinks that it can't be long until the pups come. Alpha is concerned for her mate until Storm tells her about the chase that he went on. Later that night, when Storm goes to talk to Moon while she is on the High Patrol and the two discuss the dead fox pup, the farm-dog mentions that she hopes that Alpha and Beta's pups will be safe and happy, and notes that she would hate it if anything were to happen to them. When Storm goes to help catch the Golden Deer next time, she tells her Beta that she thins that the Wind-Dogs are helping them because they want to Pack to have it for Lucky's pups. When their Pack howls, however, Snap, Lucky, and Storm go to them, where they find Alpha, who howls but is unharmed, her flanks still rounded with pups.
- Sweet's pups are ready to come after they have a moment of silence at Whisper's burial. She winced, her strong and noble stance sagging as she bent her nose low to the earth. She looks up, her large eyes wide as she announces that the pups were coming. While Sweet is birthing, an anguished whimper splits the air around the camp. She yowls during the process. Moon is with her to help with the process.
- Sky is born along with her three siblings. She experiences her Den Break, the pup's first time outside when her eyes are open and they are ready to be introduced to the Pack. She is the runt of the litter, and was weak for a couple days. She is the last pup to be introduced. Sweet emerges with her, saying that she was another female, and was very weak for a day or two, but is doing well now. She announces her as Sky, setting her down beside her litter-sisters. The little puppy is about a pup-head smaller than her litter-mates, and slightly thinner, with short golden fur and pale, watery eyes. She is surrounded by her litter-mates, who all shuffle toward her. She is sniffed by Earth, Forest sits protectively in front of her, and River nudges at her with the top of his head. She turns to look at him, and a little pink tongue no larger than a small beetle flicks out and scrapes across the fur between his eyes.
- The Pack welcomes them with a Welcome Howl. Lucky helps nose the pups toward Alpha laying down, and they all suckle happily while the rest of the Pack feasts.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Sky is first mentioned when Storm thinks about how the Wild Pack now trusts her after she saved Sky from the Endless Lake. As Storm thinks this, Lucky and Sweet's pups begin clambering over her, and she yelps at Sky. The small pup takes no notice and happily chews on one of her ears. Mickey, who is sitting beside Storm, suggests that she give in to the pups, so the Fierce Dog rolls onto her side and bats idly at Sky who yelps in delight. Storm tells the pups that she is beaten, and Sky growls as she bites one of the older dog's paws. The hunter feels happy that they aren't a little bit afraid of her any more since rescuing them. Forest begs for a story and Earth and Sky join in. As Storm agrees and tries to think of one, Sweet comes over and tells them that she can tell the story. All the pups nestle against their Mother-Dog except for Sky, who stays between Storm's paws; the latter gives the golden pup a lick on the head. Alpha tells them the story of the Golden Deer, and once she is done, all the pups say that they will catch it. Sky squeaks that she will instead, making all of them laugh, but Storm doesn't join in to not risk hurting the little dog's feelings. She nuzzles Sky and points out that Sky is brave and determined and could catch the Deer. The former gazes up at her with adoration and thanks her. The pups begin to yawn and settle, and Storm then thinks about if she could catch the Golden Deer herself, for not only the them, but also for the Pack. The Fierce Dog then leaves to go for a run, and she nuzzles Sky's shoulder as she leaves. Storm encounters Bruno as she leaves the camp, and he reveals that after watching Storm save Sky from the Endless Lake, he knows that she isn't the bad dog.
- On a different day, Sky and her siblings are seen next to their Father-Dog after playing. Storm thinks of how the pups used to be so Sky and now they are constantly chattering and playing. River then gets up and walks toward the pond, following by his litter-siblings. He and Forest dip their paws in the water, but Sky shrinks back. Earth then steps into the water, but as she takes a pace forward she sRivers into the water, and her litter-siblings yelp in panic. Sky howls for Lucky to help them. The Beta is quickly at the water's edge and saves Forest, then he scolds his pups on panicking. Sky objects that she won't go in the water if it isn't deep, as it can eat you, and Earth recalls how the Endless Lake grabbed Sky. Lucky explains that the spirit dog grabbed Sky because he is awake and lively, and is also so huge that a pup can disappear in it. He adds that this pond is calm, but when Forest objects, Lucky agrees to take them back to the den. The pups are all relieved, and Sky turns and growls back at the surface of the pond, but Storm is alarmed at the small pup's anger and at Lucky's resignation, thinking that the River-Dog must not be made an enemy. The hunter tells Lucky that the pups must not be scared of the water, yet Lucky counters that they are still young, and the young dogs nod in agreement. Storm convinces Lucky by pointing out that they might need to cross water at some point, and she suggests that they teach the pups to not fear the water. Forest objects and Sky shrinks back behind her sister. However, Lucky agrees with Storm and tells his children that they must face their fears. The pups follow Storm and the Beta to the river and Storm feels proud of them. Once they reach the river, their Father-Dog reminds them that he and Storm will be with them to make sure they are safe, and Sky creeps forward ahead of the others and asks for him to teach them now.
- Soon after, the pups have learned to swim and are enjoying the water. Sky sidles up to Earth and shyly tells her that she is really good at swimming, and the brown pup tells her sister that soon she will be too, adding that she mustn't fear the River-Dog. Lucky goes to the water's shore and tells the pups to stay in the shallows. As he and Storm talk, a breeze ruffles the surface of the water, and the water splashes Sky's nose, making her jump in surprise. Lucky tells Storm that the two of them taught the pups to trust the River-Dog again.
- Later, after a hunting patrol steals food from a spoil-box and explains their adventure to the Pack, River barks that he wants to come next time too. Storm points out that he isn't big enough to climb into the spoil-box but he says that one day he will be, and Sky yaps that she will too.
- Much later, after Beetle and Thorn are brought back from the Longpaw town, the adult dogs of the Pack discuss what their punishment should be. The pups have abandoned their game, clearly sensing the seriousness of their older Packmates, and Sky cowers behind Alpha's legs, her eyes huge. Although the young dogs clearly don't understand the gravity of the Pack's situation, Storm knows that they can see that the others are nervous. The Fierce Dog thinks that leaving the camp would be very hard on all the pups, especially on vulnerable Sky.
- Later on, when Storm leaves the Pack to become a lone dog, she painfully thinks of the dogs of the Pack she will miss, include how Breeze would curl around the pups to protect them as they slept, and how Sunshine would wave her plumy tail for Sky to chase. As the Fierce Dog leaves the Wild Pack's territory, she sees the Golden Deer, and thinks that if she catches it, the Pack will have good fortune, and the pups will be safe, happy, and lucky. However, she decides against it, realizing that the Wild Pack is no longer her Pack.
- Sky is seen when Storm returns to the pack. Storm notes how big the pups have grown. Sky also speaks up when Storm is being blamed for being the traitor dog. She says that Storm would never hurt another dog or tell a lie but Sweet shoes her off and says she's just a pup and it's time for the adults to talk.
- Coming Soon
- It was likely that Sky would be a female because of her namesake Spirit Dog (The Sky-Dogs) being a female.
- This was later revealed to be true.
- Although she's described with dark-brown eyes, Sky is also described with pale eyes.
- Sky is referred to as Sky in Storm of Dogs.
- Forest: Living As of The Final Battle
- Earth: Living As of The Final Battle
- River: Living As of The Final Battle
= Gender Unknown
- Tumble: "Hooray! One day, I'll catch [the Golden Deer]!"
- Fluff: "No, I will!"
- Red Moon Rising, page chapter 1
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 192
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 191
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in Dead of Night, page 71
- ↑ Revealed in The Final Battle
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Revealed in Storm of Dogs, page 193
- ↑ Revealed in The Empty City, page 94
- ↑ Revealed on Gillian's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed in Dead of Night, page 69
- ↑ Citation Needed
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.