- According to Survivors, a tusknose is described as big, smaller yet stockier than a deer, with a hide covered in sparse prickly hair, a barely noticeable stubby tail, enormous head, tiny ears, and two curving fangs curling from its lower jaw.
- Real boars range from the common black to various patterns and colors. They have a longer head, snout, and smaller ears from the domestic pig. They are long-legged with high, broad shoulders that taper to narrow hind quarters. Coarse bristles along their back, head to tail. American wild boar are muscled and lean animals, high and wide at the shoulder tapering to the hip, and narrow heads that lead to an equally thin, long snout. They can average 150 to 250 pounds.
In the Gathering Darkness arc
- The carcass of a half-eaten tusknose is found by Storm and her hunting patrol (Whisper, Woody, Mickey). Woody identifies it. Although the boar's body reeks of a bear, the dogs decide to steal the carcass while the bear was nowhere to be seen.
- Their plan is foiled, however, when the she-bear returns with her two cubs and chases them off.
- A tusknose attacks Storm's patrol consisting of Bruno, Arrow and Dart, and it injures Storm on the shoulder. Although Arrow manages to kill the creature and bring it as prey to their camp at the end, Storm is angry with Dart, because she neglected her duty as Scout dog, instead talking with Bruno. Dart protests, saying that she was reporting to Bruno, but Storm says she was the hunt leader, and not Bruno.
- They bring it to camp, and say they found prey. Lucky laughs, and says she could say that again. Storm gets angry at Lucky and says that Dart almost killed them all. She says that Dart reported to Bruno instead of her.
- The bristles on their back that stand erect when they are agitated earns them the nickname Razorback.
References and Citations
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.